Deputy Director, NALAC
Job Description: NALAC Deputy Director
Deadline: January 6, 2020
The National Association of Latino Arts and Cultures (NALAC) is a legacy organization investing in the Latino heritage of this nation. For over 30 years, NALAC has built a strong foundation for the promotion of Latinx arts and culture and its advocacy efforts have advanced issues of cultural equity and raised the visibility and understanding of Latinx artistic and cultural expression. To this end, NALAC makes strategic investments to bolster leadership development, grow networks and partnerships and provide financial resources for those front-line artists and organizations involved in effecting change through arts and culture.
The Deputy Director is a full-time position that reports to the President and CEO of the National Association of Latino Arts and Culture (NALAC). This staff position will support and advance the mission and purpose of the organization.
The Deputy Director is responsible for providing support and assistance to the President and CEO representing NALAC with internal and external partners, agencies, and organizations; managing the business affairs of the organization; supervising staff, and overseeing programs, projects and activities.
Coordinate with the President and CEO to implement all administrative strategies within required timeframe. Under the direction of the President and CEO, the Deputy Director (DD) will provide leadership and coordination for all organization activities. The DD will have responsibilities, ranging from member and program management and implementation, delivery of services, organizational development, administration, reporting, and human resources. The DD will work closely with the President and CEO to plan for future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the NALAC’s services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement and manage programs including grants, professional development and convenings
- Assessment of programs and program budgets, including implementation of new management systems to ensure maximum efficiency of programs and general operations; Identify best practices to improve internal systems within organizational budget parameters
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems
- Produce accurate and timely reports and queries with great attention to detail
- Direct and coordinate program and project activities and services
- Provide program oversight to ensure grant compliance and successful completion of program objectives
- Serve as key management staff; Structure and lead staff to deliver program and project outcomes
- Direct supervision and mentorship to a team of staff. Provide individual and group supervision to staff
- Support and provide team leadership for staff through resource planning, work assignment, information exchange, and setting program and project goals
- Assist in building and maintaining strong constituent relationships with key partners and promoting NALAC membership
- Assist the President and CEO in the strategic and long-range planning for NALAC
- Work with the President and CEO in recruitment and supervision of staff to include developing staff leadership activities (human resources, administration, and organizational planning)
- Work closely with the Development Associate and communications Manager to achieve development and marketing goals
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics and emerging practice areas
- Represent NALAC in conferences, professional associations, and other public venues as required
- Communicate directly with the public; this includes representing the organization to public, government, and other external sources; receiving guests at the office, exchanging information in person, in writing, by telephone or e-mail
- Share in knowledge dissemination, reporting, and communications
- Maintain discretion and confidentiality in accordance with NALAC policies
- Other duties as assigned to support the President and CEO.
Integrity, problem solving, conflict management, time management, customer focus, timely decision making, motivating and directing others, drive for results
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Valid US driver’s license and ability and willingness to travel
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, databases, social media, mapping software, and other technology
- Demonstrated ability to interact well with individuals and communities from a diverse range of cultures, incomes, and other demographic characteristics
- Professional demeanor and attitude and strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated problem-solving abilities, with strong attention to detail
- Must work well individually and as part of a team
- Reliability, punctuality, and ability to meet deadlines
- Absolute discretion and confidentiality
- A participative work style and the ability to receive feedback
- Advanced computer skills, including email and virtual conference applications, Microsoft Office suite and other online documents, such as Google Docs
- Ability to learn new tools, techniques, applications, systems and processes as needed
- Web research fluency and the ability to learn and manage various information system technologies
Confidentiality. Position requires that employee not disclose any information received from NALAC except as may be necessary to perform services in the stated job description. All information and materials provided by NALAC must be returned on NALAC’s request. Each Party (on its behalf and on behalf of its subcontractors, employees or representatives, or agents of any kind) agrees to hold and treat all confidential information of the other Party, including, but not limited to, trade secrets, sales figures, employee and customer information and any other information that the receiving Party reasonably should know is confidential (“Confidential Information”) as confidential and protect the Confidential Information with the same degree of care as each Party uses to protect its own Confidential Information of like nature. Confidential Information does not include any information that (i) at the time of the disclosure or thereafter is lawfully obtained from publicly available sources generally known by the public (other than as a result of a disclosure by the receiving Party or its representatives); (ii) is available to the receiving Party on a non-confidential basis from a source that is not and was not bound by a confidentiality agreement with respect to the Confidential Information; or (iii) has been independently acquired or developed by the receiving Party without violating its obligations under this Agreement or under any federal or state law.
Full Time Exempt Status. This position is a Full Time Exempt position. NALAC will be responsible for withholding income taxes and other withholdings as prescribed by law.
Schedule. This position is expected to provide 40 hours per week operating during standard business hours, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Busy times may entail some evening and weekend work or shifting of the standard schedule and location based on programming. Timesheets are submitted bi-weekly for approval.
Compensation. Salaried position with a competitive salary with medical, dental, and life insurance, employee savings plan, paid holidays and annual leave.
Personnel Policies. The purpose of the Personnel Policies is to provide a set of principles for establishing and maintaining harmonious and productive relationships in the conduct of NALAC business. These policies shall apply to all employees in the services of NALAC. A copy of NALAC’s current Personnel Policies is attached.
Job Location, Travel and Equipment. The position is based in San Antonio and requires employee to travel to the NALAC National Office, located at 1208 Buena Vista Street. National and in-state travel is required.
Orientation and Training. This position requires full participation in NALAC orientation programs as needed to effectively perform the scope of work outlined in the attached Job Description.
Direct Supervisor. Maria Lopez De Leon.
If you’re interested, we invite you to submit a brief application online via Submittable and upload a cover letter and resume. We look forward to hearing why this role is a great match for you.
Apply here by December 3, 2019: https://nalac.submittable.com/submit
For a PDF version of this job description: https://nalac.box.com/v/19nalac-deputydirector